Sunday, May 03, 2009

Weekend Highlights.

Lilly and I went shopping for hats on Friday. That took us to a great vintage clothing store and to several other shoppes in town. I don't particularly enjoy shopping, but I admit that I had a great time spending the day with Lilly. It was also fun wearing our hats to the Mother Daughter Hat Luncheon yesterday.

Who taught my children to play hop-scotch? Imagine my surprise when I walked into the den yesterday afternoon to see them playing hop-scotch on a game board that Ryan had drawn on the carpet using chalk. It wasn't perfect, but I knew immediately what they were doing and I couldn't help but stand back and smile at their ingenuity.

My house is clean.

The laundry is done.

I bought a pressure cooker. My mother used one all the time when I was a kid and I have thought about getting one for several months now. The new models aren't at all scary and they no longer have a "jiggler" that sits on the top. The components are all contained in the handle, but there's still the familiar chuga-chuga-chuga-chuga as the pressure builds up and the steam escapes.I have used it several times already. I made perfect brown rice in 15 minutes last night and plan on making Lemon Herb Chicken for dinner tonight. I admit I am a bit nervous about the chicken because it is hard for me to grasp cooking a whole chicken in less than 20 minutes, but I'll give it a try. If I am successful then it just might revolutionize our evening meals.

I spent a lot of time with the kids doing nothing in particular. We went to the park and planted marigolds and watched movies and explored the lake at Furman. I watched them intently as they energetically moved from one thing to the next trying to figure out how they got to be so big. Lilly keeps pace with Ryan now and neither of them needs my help like they used to on the playground. I should be happy that I can sit back and watch them play, relax a few minutes, but sadly my babies aren't babies anymore.

So the weekend comes to a close and thankfully I feel ready to face the week ahead, but that doesn't mean I am not already looking foward to next weekend.

2 comments:

Anne said...

My kids play hopscotch, too! And I most certainly did not teach them. It always surprises and delights me what they learn when I'm not around.

Today I noticed that Kit "takes her mark" as if she's some sort of sprinting Olympian. That made me laugh, and... really... where did she ever learn that?!

Kelly said...

What fun! I want to see hat pictures. I am sure you both looked adorable.

Kelly