Sunday, June 22, 2008

Blogging.

I'm sure to many it seems like everyone has a blog. I am also sure that just as many don't understand the allure of it. You know-- sharing stories and pictures and sometimes even intimate details of one's life on the world wide web. This may sound silly but when I started blogging in 2005 I did it as a means for family and friends to keep in touch with us, but I never dreamed it would become such a part of my life. If the Upstate Update were lost, if it crashed; I'd be devastated.

I blog for many different reasons now. It is an outlet. It is cheap therapy. It is a way to share my thoughts and stories about parenting a child with special needs. It is a way to document my children's milestones. I also fancy this idea that one day Ryan and Lilly will cherish these stories and pictures and thoughts. I hope that it will be a written declaration of my love for them. I also hope that it will help them see that yes, I am their mother, but I am also a woman, a wife, a social worker and all the other roles that define me. There is another side beyond diaper changer, cook and taxi driver.

I have started printing the blog and placing the pages in a binder. It is a tedious task, but I just I need a hard copy for myself and one to give to give to Ryan and Lilly one day.

In the next few days you will see a new category added to the label section of my blog and it will be called "stories." I hope you enjoy them, but they are mostly for Ryan and Lilly. They will be stories from my childhood and other memories that I want to preserve for them. They will be random and quite possibly meaningless, but they will be stories that come to my mind over and over and over. For that reason I believe they are important enough to write down and share with my children.

And to all of the authors of my favorite blogs. Thanks for sharing your stories. Thanks for sharing your life. I know that I will never have the chance to meet most of you personally, but you are rich, wonderful, talented people and I have learned a tremendous amount from each of you. Please keep writing.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I think it is so special that you are preserving your great and even not so great memories for your children.
There is another blog I read (she sells some great stuff on Etsy...precious like your stuff) and she wrote a neat letter to her daughter about a trip to Wal-Mart. Keeping a record of everything is so important.
http://lillitutu.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2007-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-06%3A00&updated-max=2008-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-06%3A00&max-results=12

Kelly

Long's Joyful Journey said...

Great thoughts! Your kids will appreciate it! I like revelaing stuff about myself, but my husband hasn't warmed up to it yet!

ikkinlala said...

What a great idea to write down your stories for your kids!