I then responded by saying, "I am sorry Ryan, but we don't have any ice cream. It is all gone."
He continued by jumping up from his seat and saying, "This way mommy. Ice cream this way. Car. Pleeeease."
I laughed and told him we weren't going to get ice cream right now. He put his hand out in a stop-sign fashion and said, "No, No, Mommy. Ice cream. Car. Pleeeease."
I have to admit it took everything I had to keep from saying yes and loading him up for a trip to McDonalds, but I steered him into the den and told him to watch Bee Movie for the 1ooth time.
******
This story is significant because up until a few months ago I had never had conversations like this one with Ryan. He has always spoken about what is right in front of him. His conversations were concrete and in the here and now. Six months ago he would have never told me to get in the car and go get ice cream. It's exciting to see him progress and understand the power of speech. It's even more exciting to hear him go from single words to actual phrases to communicate. I swear I thought he would never get past that point, but slowly he is doing just that.
Way to go Ryan!!
2 comments:
Way to go, Ryan!
A funny aside... If I tell my kids I'm out of some sort of snack, that it's all gone, they tell me to go to the grocery store. I don't know if I should celebrate this, or roll my eyes at it. :-)
That is great to hear! Isn't it funny what motivates them? Hey, whatever it takes is what I say. It's so wonderful to hear about this kind of progress. Keep it up Ryan!
Post a Comment