Sunday, January 03, 2010
Quilting Project.
I started this quilt yesterday. I can count on one hand the number of quilts I have made and half of those were from whole quilt panels that one can purchase at fabric stores. Basically you buy the panel, batting and backing, pin them all together and then quilt them either by hand or on a machine. I have only pieced two or three quilt tops myself and both were simple block patterns I did on the sewing machine. I love quilts, but I believe the reason I don't make more of them is because they are very labor intensive and I like projects that I can complete in one or two sewing sessions.
I didn't piece this quilt top. I actually bought it 15 years ago from a woman that was cleaning out her deceased mother's home when we lived in LaGrange, Georgia. There were boxes and boxes of quilts in various stages of completion and a fabric stash that put mine to shame. I didn't sew much then so I wasn't impressed with any of it and just bought two quilt tops to be nice. I packed them up and only rediscovered them a few weeks ago and that's when I decided to quilt this one. It's made out of scraps and it's not square and there are several places that need to be repaired, but each time I pick it up I seem to fall in love with it that much more. I spent about two hours yesterday ironing it and pinning it together all the while wondering if the woman that pieced the quilt did so with fabric scraps that were left after she made dresses for her daughter(s). I don't know much about vintage fabric, but after a quick search on the internet my guess is that the majority of these are from the 30s and 40s. The patterns have inspired me to make Lilly a few summer dresses from reproductions. They just seem perfect for those hot steamy days we have here in July and August.
I've decided to quilt this by hand instead of doing it on the sewing machine despite the fact that machine quilting is much faster. I don't have experience using my machine for quilting and I was afraid I'd mess it up and that's the last thing I'd want to happen. Unfortunately I don't have a frame so I have to manage the bulk of the fabric in my lap, good thing it is so cold right now and I get to snuggle under the quilt and sew at the same time. That's a pretty good trade off. I worked on it a few hours last night while Ryan and Lilly watched a movie. It's going slowly and my fingers are sore from pulling the needle through the fabric, but I am proud to see it taking shape after all this time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Psst... Marcy, make Lily one just like this:
http://www.chasing-fireflies.com/meadow-flowers-dress/productinfo/30425/
Post a Comment