Last night was the Spring Sing at Berea First Baptist Church. This was a special time for the kindergarten classes to sing all the wonderful songs they had learned since their Christmas program and say goodbye to the school year.
I admit I was a bit anxious as we were getting ready to go to the church because Mrs. Hallman had shared on several occasions that Ryan seems to love music class, but he often refused to sing. She even told me yesterday when I went to pick Ryan up from school that he didn't participate in the rehearsal that day. I assured her that whatever Ryan decided to do, it would be okay with us, but inside I hoped his stubborn streak wouldn't rear it's ugly head during the program.
When we got to the church Rourk took Ryan to his room so he could walk in and take his place on the stage along with his classmates. I scrambled to get seats among the hundred or so parents and grandparents that were assembling in the senior activities hall. Rourk joined Lilly and I a few minutes later and together we waited for the program to start.
Once it did we had to crane our necks over the crowd to see Ryan march in holding Mrs. Hallman's hand. He was was grinning from ear to ear. He walked around, let go of her hand and took his place between Thomas and Kindley. I started to relax and smile to myself because I could tell by the look on Ryan's face that he was loving all the attention. I knew at that moment that it was going to be alright.
The music started and Ryan gave the performance of a lifetime. He sang his heart out. I never video tape my kids. It's just something I have never done, but for the first time I regret that I didn't drag the camera out and tape him and his classmates. I just wish I had more than a handful of pictures and the memory of it.
But this is one memory that I will keep close to my heart. I'll tuck it away and keep it forever. I'll pull it out from time to time, reminisce with it and then tuck it away again assured of Ryan's perfect ending.
I admit I was a bit anxious as we were getting ready to go to the church because Mrs. Hallman had shared on several occasions that Ryan seems to love music class, but he often refused to sing. She even told me yesterday when I went to pick Ryan up from school that he didn't participate in the rehearsal that day. I assured her that whatever Ryan decided to do, it would be okay with us, but inside I hoped his stubborn streak wouldn't rear it's ugly head during the program.
When we got to the church Rourk took Ryan to his room so he could walk in and take his place on the stage along with his classmates. I scrambled to get seats among the hundred or so parents and grandparents that were assembling in the senior activities hall. Rourk joined Lilly and I a few minutes later and together we waited for the program to start.
Once it did we had to crane our necks over the crowd to see Ryan march in holding Mrs. Hallman's hand. He was was grinning from ear to ear. He walked around, let go of her hand and took his place between Thomas and Kindley. I started to relax and smile to myself because I could tell by the look on Ryan's face that he was loving all the attention. I knew at that moment that it was going to be alright.
The music started and Ryan gave the performance of a lifetime. He sang his heart out. I never video tape my kids. It's just something I have never done, but for the first time I regret that I didn't drag the camera out and tape him and his classmates. I just wish I had more than a handful of pictures and the memory of it.
But this is one memory that I will keep close to my heart. I'll tuck it away and keep it forever. I'll pull it out from time to time, reminisce with it and then tuck it away again assured of Ryan's perfect ending.
1 comment:
Hooray, Ryan! I'm so glad the concert went well.
Post a Comment